The Petrie Family Story,

Back in 2012 I felt a lump in my breast . At the time I was 32 years old. I was married to my high school sweetheart and had 2 beautiful children, Codi my daughter was 13 and my son Jimmy was 10. I mentioned to some co-workers that I felt the lump, within minutes I was told that I needed to call my doctor right away because my lump did not look normal under the ultrasound. Within days I would find out that I was diagnosed with breast cancer. After a mammogram and a biopsy, my doctor called me the very next day and said she just couldn’t believe it. With in 2 weeks I was set up with 2 wonderful doctors and had surgery to remove both breasts. At first my husband was not on board with removing both breast but after hearing that I had a 90% chance of it coming back on my right side within 10 years, though all the fog and confusion he looked at me and said “this is your choice and you should do whatever you think is best”. The next year I went through numerous surgeries for not only my breasts but also they discovered that the cancer was 82% estrogen based and because of this I should undergo a complete hysterectomy so that I would have to worry about cervical or any other types of female cancer coming back to haunt me. I went through 6 rounds of Chemotherapy. I feel like I was pretty lucky at this time to have been able to move through the process so flawlessly. Two years later in 2014 our 3 child came into our life through a friend , we adopted our youngest child. When we got Eva she was only 9 months old. Soon after I realized that she wasn’t doing the normal things that children do around this age. She wasn’t cruising the furniture she wasn’t even trying to pull herself up. After several doctors in Las Vegas and being told that they couldn’t find anything wrong with her that she was just developmentally delayed, I knew that it was more. We took her to Salt Lake City , UT and within 5 mins the doctor gave us the news that she had a genetic condition and she would more than likely never walk. She was diagnosed with SMA (Spinal Muscular Atrophy). This changed nothing. She was so beautiful and brought so much joy to our family. She was the missing piece we didn’t know was missing. She is now receiving treatment for her condition which keeps her stable but is wheelchair bound and can walk with her braces and walker. Fast forward 4 years to the summer of 2016. My daughter is living life playing softball, in the best shape of her life , looking at colleges to go play softball for and getting ready for the best year of her life, her Senior year in high school. She started to complain of chest pain. I brushed it off several times because Codi was known for diving into bases in softball. So in my mind she probably cracked a rib or something. We were getting ready to head down to San Diego for our annual summer family vacation, when the pain got so intense that she couldnt breath. I had her come into my ER dept just to get checked out. Hours later we would be given news that literally took my breath away. Your daughter has a mass in her chest. All i could think of was the breast cancer. I had no clue how much worse it would be. The next day she underwent a biopsy and we were sent out of the hospital to go ahead and go on our vacation. A few weeks later we had a follow up with the doctors. They informed us that Codi had Ewing Sarcoma. Because there are no surgeons in Vegas with expertise to remove her rib, we went to UCLA. Within 2 weeks we found ourselves in the ICU after Codi underwent a 3 hour surgery. After 5 days we were able to bring Codi home. And we thought the worst was over. Little to our knowledge the worst part was yet to come. Codi always kept a positive attitude and would not allow us to cry. EVER. She was so strong that we came up with #Codistrong. The next year we spent in chemotherapy. It was awful her first treatment she lost over 30 lbs from being so violently sick. There were the upest ups and downest downs. Codi finished Chemo in May of 2017 and graduated in June of 2017 with Honors from Liberty HS. We were so happy we could finally go back to our normal lives. Codi got a full time job and attended UNLV full time. She never missed a beat. We go thru the next year of our lives getting back to normal life. Codi goes for all of her regular scans every 3 months with perfect scans. In January of 2018 Codi had a normal MRI and the doctors moved her to every 6 months now for her scans. June 2018, Codi goes in for her routine scan and a week later she is scheduled to see the doctor to go over her results like normal. The morning of I receive a phone call from the office telling me that Codi needed to have a parent or guardian with her today… I knew instantly something was wrong Codi had been going to her appts by herself because she was 18 now I felt like she could. I loaded in the car and picked her up she knew that this was not normal. But before any of this even happened, it was like she knew too. While I was on the phone with the Dr., she texted me that she was extremely exhausted and didn’t wanna go. When we arrived at the office the doctor came in and told us that it had returned. This was the most devastating news we have ever heard. As the doctor tells us that her prognosis is poor. I lost my mind and had to be restrained by my husband. I couldn’t believe what was coming out of this doctor’s mouth. Does she not know who she is talking to? does she not know who she is talking about? I don’t think so not this girl, not my baby girl she is a warrior. I looked at Codi and she was calm the only one that was calm in the room. she looks at me and says “mom first off you need to calm down, 2nd this is the doctors job” I respond with its not her job to tell us only the bad i refuse to believe that there is nothing to do. 3rd she says “NOTHING CHANGES, absolutely nothing changes with the baby , and nothing changes with Jimmy.” Codi’s brother is going into his Junior year at Bishop Gorman HS. He plays on the Varsity football team and of course her brain was already thinking way ahead of her father and I. knowing that we had to get out of town to get treatment. She doesn’t want to disrupt the lives of her younger siblings. Knowing that we need the money to take her for treatment she did not want us to take her brother out of his private school. She says he is where he needs to be. He needs to play football, get a scholarship, and go play college ball. Really that’s what she is worried about? Not the fight for your life that is coming up. She is by far the most unselfish person ever in the world, but to her she needs to know that everything will be the same. After the very brief discussion with the Vegas doctors we knew we had to seek out other options. We were able to get into UCLA. We knew when we met Dr. Federman that we had found who was going to help us. He offered her several options and we allowed Codi to navigate through them and with in minutes she knew which one she wanted to do. With in a week we were back.

Write a comment